Blood and Fire is a British reggae record label specialising in reissues of 1970s roots reggae.
Steve Barrow, Bob Harding, Mick Hucknall, Elliot Rashman and Andy Dodd formed the record label in Manchester in 1993 with the objective of reissuing roots reggae, dub and DJ albums with the integrity of jazz reissues. In the process, Blood and Fire influenced the overall aesthetic of other labels issuing archival Jamaican recordings in the 1990s and beyond.
Initial releases drew on mid-1970s Bunny Lee produced material but the label has since proceeded to reissue material produced by Yabby You and Glen Brown along with the Lee "Scratch" Perry produced Congos set Heart of the Congos and a three-CD Big Youth set, Natty Universal Dread.
Despite the reissue objective, the label has released two one-riddim albums. The first was Tree of Satta (2003) which utilises the original "Satta Massagana" riddim featuring a mixture of new and vintage voicings over the riddim along with the original version of the song by The Abyssinians. The second, Fisherman Style (2006), utilises The Congos' "Fisherman" riddim and features new material from a variety of singers including Horace Andy, U Roy, Big Youth, Luciano, Tony Tuff and Dillinger.
The label also had a sound system which has featured original Jamaican artists such as Dilinger, Trinity, Ranking Joe, U Brown, Horace Andy, Dennis Alcapone, U Roy, Spikey Tee, Country Culture, Raggamonica along with Steve Barrow and Dom Sotgiu. In July 2006 the sound went to Japan with U Roy on a three date sell out tour.
In 2007, news leaked out via the company's popular message board that Blood and Fire had stopped trading as an active company. The loss of their American and French distributors due to bankruptcy as well as some unfortunate management decisions, combined with an industry-wide decline in sales were to blame. Although the company declined to make any official announcement, it was effectively out of business.
In 2014 it was announced that the label would be relaunched in conjunction with VP Records, with Barrow overseeing future projects.
- BAFCD/LP001 - The Dreads at King Tubby's - If Deejay Was your Trade
- BAFCD/LP002 - King Tubby and Friends - Dub Gone Crazy
- BAFCD/LP003 - Keith Hudson - Pick a Dub
- BAFCD/LP004 - Burning Spear - Social Living
- BAFCD/LP005 - Yabby U - King Tubby's Prophesy of Dub
- BAFCD/LP006, BAFLP007 - Horace Andy - In The Light / In The Light Dub
- BAFCD007 - Various Artists - Heavyweight Sound
- BAFCD/LP008 - Tapper Zukie - Tappa Zukie In Dub
- BAFCD/LP009 - The Congos - Heart Of The Congos (2-CD)
- BAFCD/LP010 - Jah Stitch - Original Ragga Muffin 1975-1977
- BAFCD1001 - King Tubby & Scientist - Greenwich Farm Rub-A-Dub
- BAFCD/LP011 - King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - Freedom Sounds In Dub
- BAFCD/LP012 - Scientist - Dub In The Roots Tradition
- BAFCD/LP013 - King Tubby & Prince Jammy - Dub Gone 2 Crazy
- BAFCD/LP014 - Prince Alla - Only Love Can Conquer
- BAFCD/LP015 - Glen Brown & King Tubby - Termination Dub 1973-1979
- BAFCD/LP016 - I-Roy - Don't Check Me With No Lightweight Stuff 1972-1975
- BAFCD017 - Various Artists - 2 Heavyweight: Another Blood and Fire Sampler
- BAFCD/LP018 - Morwell Unlimited Meet King Tubby's - Dub Me
- BAFCD/LP019 - Horace Andy - Good Vibes
- BFCDS903 - Various Artists - Dubwise and Otherwise: A Blood and Fire Audio Catalogue
- BAFCD/LP020 - U Brown - Train To Zion
- BAFCD/LP021 - Yabby You - Jesus Dread 1972-1977 (2-CD)
- BAFCD/LPO22 - Yabby you - Jesus Dread 1995-1997 (2-CDE)
- BAFCD/LP022 - Impact Allstars - Forward The Bass: Dub From Randy's 1972-1975
- BAFCD/LP023 - Junior Byles and Friends - 129 Beat Street: Ja-Man Special 1975-1978
- BAFCD/LP024 - Johnny Clarke - Dreader Dread 1976-1978
- BAFCD025 - Various Artists - Heavyweight 3: A Blood and Fire Sampler
- BAFCD/LP026 - King Tubby & Friends - Dub Like Dirt 1975-1977
- BAFCD/LP027 - Max Romeo - Open The Iron Gate 1973-1977
- BAFCD028 - The Chantells & Friends - Children Of Jah 1977-1979
- BAFCD/LP029 - Inner Circle & The Fatman Riddim Section - Heavyweight Dub / Killer Dub
- BFCDS904 - The Dubmasters - X-Ray Music: A Blood and Fire Dub Directory
- BAFCD/LP030 - Cornell Campbell - I Shall Not Remove 1975-1980
- BAFCD/LP031 - Trinity - Shanty Town Determination
- BAFCD/LP032 - Linval Thompson - Ride On Dreadlocks 1975-1977
- BAFCD/LP033 - Sylford Walker & Welton Irie - Lamb's Bread International
- BAFCD/LP034 - Big Youth - Natty Universal Dread 1973-1979 (3-CD)
- BAFCD035 - Gregory Isaacs - Mr Isaacs
- BAFCD/LP036 - Darker Than Blue: Soul From Jamdown, 1973-1977
- BAFCD/LP037 - Niney the Observer - Microphone Attack 1974-1977
- BAFCD/LP038 - Yabby You - Dub it to the Top 1976-1979
- BAFCD/LP039 - Dennis Brown - The Promised Land 1977-1979
- BAFCD040 - Prince Alla & Junior Ross - I Can Hear The Children Singing 1975-1978
- BFCDS905 - Various Artists - Dubwise And Otherwise 2: A Blood and Fire Audio Catalogue
- BAFCD041 - Ja-Man Allstars - In The Dub Zone
- BAFCD/LP042 - Jackie Mittoo - Champion In The Arena 1976-1977
- BAFCD/LP043 - Ranking Joe - Zion High
- BAFCD/LP044 - Tommy McCook - Blazing Horns / Tenor In Roots
- BAFCD/LP045 - The Abyssinians and Friends - The Tree of Satta Vol 01
- BAFCD/LP046 - Dennis Brown Presents Prince Jammy - Umoja / 20th Century DEBwise
- BAFCD047 - Blood and Fire All Stars - Run It Red
- BAFCD/LP048 - Willi Williams - Messenger Man
- BAFCD/LP049 - Prince Far I - Silver & Gold 1973-1979
- BAFCD/LP050 - The Congos and Friends - Fisherman Style
- BAFCD/LP051 - Yabby You - Deliver Me From My Enemies
- BFCDS906 - Blood and Fire Allstars - Singerman!
- VPBAF6524 - Gregory Isaacs - "Mr. Know It All/War Of The Stars" (12")
-- Courtesy (Wikipedia) --